Patient Navigator Program
Oncology-certified nurse Jackie Bruns, RN, provides navigation for cancer patients. Call her at 360-321-7656, ext. 2669, or 360-678-7656, ext. 2669.
Cancer Navigation - A Team Approach at Whidbey General
This is a difficult time. We want to make sure you get the best care possible.
A cancer diagnosis is devastating to most people. The sheer volume of information about cancer and treatment options can be overwhelming and confusing.
To help patients with cancer find their way through the health care maze, Whidbey General offers a Patient Navigation Program.
Patient navigation has evolved in the last 20 years to provide better access to cancer care and to support more positive outcomes. Read about the history of patient navigation in cancer care and more on patient navigation at Whidbey General.
Our Patient Navigation Program features a team approach. An oncology-certified nurse, a financial consultant and a social worker collaborate to assist you with coordination of care.
- The nurse will answer questions about your diagnosis, care and symptom management.
- The financial counselor will help you access financial resources.
- The social worker will help you problem solve and access community resources.
This team knows community resources and the health care system. Their goal is to help you move more quickly and easily through diagnosis and treatment. As needed, your navigation team will collaborate with cancer programs in Seattle, Everett and Mt. Vernon to help you get the care you need.
The Patient Navigator Can:
- Help you ask your doctor or nurse important questions about your cancer care
- Guide you through the health care system
- Assist you with insurance forms and help find ways to pay for health care if you don’t have insurance
- Direct you to health care services for further diagnosis and treatment
- Identify local resources and support
- Help you keep track of, and get, to your appointments
- Answer questions about your care and help you find more information
The Patient Navigator Will:
- Provide more timely access to health care services and information
- Help you avoid delayed or missed appointments
- Increase satisfaction with your health care experience
For more information, please contact Jackie Bruns RN, OCN at 360-321-7656, ext. 2669 or 360-678-7656, ext. 2669.