Whidbey General Hospital
101 N. Main Street
Coupeville, WA 98239
360-678-5151 or 360-321-5151
Emergency Department care is augmented by other hospital services that include:
- Diagnostic Imaging, including X-Ray, ultrasound, CT and MRI
- Social Services
- Respiratory Therapy
These services combine to provide the best possible care with quality results.
What to expect when you arrive at the Emergency Department
- You should use the main entrance to the hospital. There is not a separate entrance for the Emergency Department.
- You will be greeted by a person at the front desk who will direct you to the Triage Area or the Emergency Department waiting area. A nurse will respond to you to complete a triage.
What is triage?
Triage simply means to prioritize. In the Emergency Department we triage (prioritize) patients in order of severity of illness. Emergency Department nurses are experienced in quickly identifying and prioritizing patients as they arrive at the hospital. While every attempt is made to see patients in the order they arrive, the order is not determined by who arrived first. Critically ill and/or injured patients may cause delays.
Once in the patient care area, you will be seen by a physician and nurse. Please feel free to ask any staff member any question during your stay. We endeavor to provide the highest quality care in the shortest amount of time. Your length of stay in the department will be affected by a number of factors, including the number of:
- Ancillary tests ordered by the physician
- Patients being treated in the department at any given time
- Patients arriving by ambulance
The Whidbey General Emergency Department has been designated by the State of Washington as a Level III trauma center.
We have a state-of-the-art helipad, often used by Airlift Northwest, to quickly transfer patients needing specialized care not offered at Whidbey General. The types of patients transferred by helicopter include:
- Those in need of cardiac catheterization and other interventional cardiac therapies
- Severely burned patients
- Complicated pediatric cases
- Complicated trauma cases
The Emergency Department endeavors to provide health care services focused on the needs of the whole person in a quality, compassionate and caring manner while encouraging people to become partners in their own health care.